One week of pantry staple meals that are (mostly) wholesome and nutritious and use less than ten ingredients. This list also includes a shopping list to make dinner plans even easier!Continue reading “7 Pantry Staple Meals with 10 Ingredients or Less!”
Make ahead breakfast burritos with scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, vegetables, beans, cheese, and hash browns, rolled up in a whole wheat flour tortilla! I love keeping these in the freezer for a grab-and-go nutritious breakfast.
A few years ago, when I was in college, I spent one whole day making freezer meals, and as luck would have it, my fucking freezer broke overnight. I was devastated and haven’t really gotten back into the whole “make ahead meals” things ever since. But, with lots of craziness in the world, having some frozen meals on hand isn’t necessarily a bad idea. Especially when I can eat said meals in the car with one hand in the form of make ahead breakfast burritos!
I have been planning on making some freezer breakfast burritos for a while, but this past weekend was finally the time I decided to get my ish together and actually do it. I was looking for a burrito that tasted like the greasy hangover breakfast burritos I ate in college but had the nutritional benefits of a kale smoothie. Turns out, that’s impossible! But, I still think I got pretty close thanks to a few healthier swaps like turkey sausage and whole wheat tortillas. 😛
A few Details
These breakfast burritos are perfect for anyone who forgets about breakfast almost every single day (hi) and resorts to eating a salad or Greek yogurt or a chocolate bar just to get something in their belly. But, we all know that breakfast can be so much better. And wholesome. And well-rounded. Which is where make-ahead breakfast burritos come into play.
This recipe has scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, peppers, potatoes, black beans, and cheese stuffed into a whole wheat flour tortilla. Marc insisted on the potatoes, but if you’re going for an extra boost of health, you could always throw in a few handfuls of spinach or arugula instead! I like serving the burritos with guac, salsa, and fresh fruit to complete the whole meal.
Ingredients you’ll need for make ahead breakfast burritos
The beauty of breakfast burritos is that you can pretty much put anything in them. They’re so easy to make vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, etc. However, I eat pretty much all things, so mine just requires basic ingredients you can find in any grocery store. You’ll need:
- Turkey Sausage: The turkey gives us some protein and is a bit healthier than pork sausage! Chicken sausage would work as well.
- Shredded Potatoes: We just used regular potatoes from the freezer aisle, but I also love breakfast burritos with shredded or cubed sweet potatoes!
- Bell Pepper: I use one green and one red pepper for some extra veggies!
- Eggs: Scrambled eggs are a must in breakfast burritos!
- Milk: Makes the eggs a little creamier, but not necessary if you don’t have it around.
- Black Beans: Another source of protein and veggies!
- Shredded Cheese: All burritos need cheese, yes?
- Whole Wheat Tortillas: Regular, spinach, and gluten-free tortillas would all work great.
- Sides of Choice: Guac, salsa, hot sauce, etc. (This is one of my favorite store-bought salsas but I usually try to find one that’s spicier and fresh!)
How to make freezer breakfast burritos
First, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper until combined. Set aside.
Next, heat a pan over medium-high heat and cook your sausage until it’s no longer pink and cooked-through. Drain any fat, and place the sausage in a bowl. Set aside.
Then, add the shredded potatoes and bell peppers to the pan with a little oil, and cook until the potatoes are crispy and the peppers have softened. Add to the bowl with the sausage.
After, pour the egg mixture into the pan, and cook until they are softly scrambled and fluffy. Add the sausage-veggie mixture to the eggs, and then mix in a can of drained black beans. Season with salt and pepper.
Next, divide the mixture between eight whole wheat tortillas. Sprinkle each with a little cheese, roll up, and they’re ready to freeze or serve! You can either warm them in the oven if you’re serving burritos to a crowd, or you can pan fry the burritos to get a crispy outside. Even better, use a panini press if you have one!
How to roll a breakfast burrito
I’m pretty bad at rolling breakfast burritos, and it’s usually Marc’s job any time we make them. But, it’s actually really easy, and I’m just incompetent apparently. All you have to do is place some filling on your tortilla (try to place it more toward the side you’re rolling up so it’s easy to roll).
Next, fold in the shorter sides to make sure the filling stays in place. Then, take the end of the tortilla closest to you, fold it over, and tuck under the filling a bit to keep everything in place. Roll it up, and place the burritos seam-side down!
Serving make ahead breakfast burritos
We like to eat these burritos with salsa, guacamole, and hot sauce! Greek yogurt or sour cream is great too. If we eat them for breakfast, we usually have a little fresh fruit on the side. Or, if we’re eating them for dinner, we like brown rice and grilled/sauteed veggies!
storing/freezing breakfast burritos
To freeze the burritos, wrap them with beeswax/plastic wrap/tinfoil, and keep them in an airtight container for up to two months. The filling will also last in the fridge for up to one week. If you store the filling in the fridge, I would assemble the burritos right before you eat them, or they will get soggy!
Reheating frozen make ahead breakfast burritos
To reheat, unwrap the burrito and place it on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave for 3-4 minutes, until they’re warmed through. If the middle won’t warm up all the way, cut the burrito in half and microwave it in 30-second increments until warm!
You can also warm the burritos in an oven at 350°F for about 15-20 minutes.
To take the burritos *up a notch*, heat a skillet with a small amount of neutral cooking oil, and grill the burrito on each side until it’s nice and crispy. If you have a panini press, you can grill burritos that way too!
What other fillings can I use to make breakfast burritos?
These burritos can be made with pretty much anything you have on hand. Try:
- Bacon, eggs, beans, veggies, + cheese
- Eggs, sweet potatoes, black beans, veggies, + cheese (vegetarian!)
- “Scrambled” tofu, vegetables, + beans (vegan!)
Other easy breakfast recipes you might like!
Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos
Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 lb turkey sausage
- 2 tbsp neutral oil (I use olive oil)
- 2 cup shredded potatoes (fresh or frozen)
- 2 bell peppers (I use green and red)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup cheddar, jack, or Mexican cheese, shredded
- 8 whole wheat tortillas (regular, spinach, gluten-free work too)
- Salsa, guacamole, sour cream, etc. for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk until combined. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble the sausage in the pan, cooking until no longer pink. Drain any fat, and place the sausage in a bowl. Set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet, and return the pan to the heat. Heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and peppers to the pan, and cook until the potatoes are browned and the peppers are soft, about 8-10 minutes. Place the veggies in the bowl with the sausage, and return the pan to the heat.
- Scramble the eggs over medium-high heat until cooked through. Turn the heat to low, and add the potatoes, peppers, and sausage back to the pan. Add the can of black beans. Season with salt and pepper as necessary. Stir until everything is warm.
- Divide the filling between the eight tortillas, and sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of cheese over each tortilla. Wrap burrito-style (see photos above to learn how!)
- If serving immediately, either microwave the burritos until warm or cook for about 10-15 minutes in the oven at 350°F. To take it to the next level, heat a skillet over medium-high heat with a little oil. Grill the burrito on each side until crispy. Enjoy with salsa, guac, and hot sauce!
- To freeze, wrap each burrito in beeswax wrap, plastic wrap, or tinfoil. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to two months. To heat, microwave for 3-5 minutes until warm in the center. You can also heat them at 350°F for 15-20 minutes. To take it to the next level, heat a skillet over medium-high heat with a little oil. Grill the burrito on each side until crispy. Enjoy with salsa, guac, and hot sauce!
xo Sara Lynn
*Song of the day: Plants by Crumb
Marinated white beans with vegetables, rosemary, garlic, and a quick vinaigrette. served over whole wheat toast for a light, delicious dinner!Continue reading “Marinated White Beans with Toast”